Dot Com, to Dot Bomb


The dot com to dot bomb bust.  This is the topic I will be discussing in my amazing blog before Thanks Giving this year.  But before I start might as well, happy Thanks Giving to all that read this.  This lesson that we learned was taught by our very own Andrew Fry, and it was taught very well, even had toy dinosaurs!  To differ Andrew from all the other blogs we have had that pertain to guest speakers, Andrew honestly kept me interested more than any other speakers.  I do not know if that is because he is an actual teacher, or that he is just funny, however he kept me interested throughout the lesson.  We discussed how there are five stages to creating a company stated by Andrew, and these five stages are the innocent beginning, the boom, insanity, the bust, and the crawl back to sanity.  The way he explained it was at first you are beginning and kind of uneasy because you are fresh to the start, then it takes off, then the insanity hits where it really is taking off and you can’t keep up with it, then the bust where you stop making money and your company fails in the end.  Then we continued on to talk about the first starting companies such as Compuserv, Genie, AOL, and Delphi.  Compuserv was the largest with about one million users, and could have very well been today’s amazon except they made some poor decisions.  Which brings me to my next point that people always said that Amazon was going to fail and never survive after the dot bomb, however what amazed me was that they survived and now one of the largest companies in the world.  Also, all the other websites from the beginning that I stated failed too, and that is why I believe he brought in dinosaurs because they became extinct exactly like the dinosaurs!  Very creative way to teach the lesson.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not Just about Being a Programmer

My Website

Artificial Intelligence or Virtual Reality?